Assistant or Associate Professor, African American History/History of Race in the 19th-Century United States
The Department of History at Northwestern University invites applications for a tenure–stream position at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor in the history of the United States in the nineteenth century, with a focus on African American history or the histories of race, racism, and struggles for racial justice.
A letter of application, CV, writing sample (no longer than an article or dissertation/book chapter), and three letters of recommendation (sent separately) must be submitted electronically via the link on our departmental website by October 4th, 2021. Duties include research, undergraduate and graduate teaching and advising Ph.D. students.
AA/EOE. Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Please read ALL instructions and make all preparations before proceeding to application page. If you have been asked to submit a letter of recommendation for an applicant, please use the link in your email instructions instead of this page.
- Applications will only be accepted through the online form. Please make sure all documents are prepared in advance, because partial applications will not be accepted and cannot be saved. Also, please be sure all information is entered completely and accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been accepted.
- All uploaded files should be in Adobe PDF format. Files in another electronic format (e.g., MS Word) should be "saved as" or "printed to" PDF format before uploading. If you only have a paper version of a particular document, you may scan it and save it as a PDF. However, the first method is preferred, because it retains text recognition capabilities.
- Three names and email addresses for external referees are required. Very soon after you submit your complete online application, your references will automatically be emailed instructions for uploading a letter of recommendation. NOTE: If you are using a professional placement or dossier service (e.g., interfolio) to submit any or all recommendations, please use the service's address instead of your referee's address in the appropriate space. Once again, please be sure all addresses are entered correctly with no spelling errors; otherwise your referee or dossier service will not receive the instructions.
- Some things to remember when uploading your application documents:
- Please note that no document may exceed 4 MB in size (8 MB for writing samples), so be sure to minimize the size of any large PDF files before uploading.
- File names should not contain parentheses, quotation marks, or other such characters; the system will likely not accept such documents.
- The size of the writing sample should be equivalent to a single journal article or book chapter; it may be published or unpublished. Only one sample need be submitted.
- When your PDF files and list of references are complete, you may proceed to the Online Application. All required fields must be filled in before you click on the "Submit Application" button. The system will not accept incomplete applications. Applications that are complete by October 4, 2021, will be ensured full consideration. (References will be allowed to arrive for a week or so after the deadline.) You will receive an email confirmation shortly after your application has been received.
|The link below will take you to the application for our African American History/History of Race in the 19th-Century United States Faculty Search. Please be sure you are applying to the correct search. Reminder: If you have been asked to submit a letter of recommendation for an applicant, please use the link in your email instructions instead of the link below.|