Assistant Professor of History in Early Modern Europe and the World
The Department of History at Northwestern University invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the history of Early Modern Europe and the World. The position is open to historians who work on Europe and/or Europe’s connections with the wider world from 1500 to 1800, with the exception of those who work exclusively on the British Isles. Applicants must have earned a Ph.D. in History or an adjacent field by the time of appointment, or shortly thereafter. Candidates whose scholarship and teaching adopt transnational and global approaches are encouraged to apply. Duties include research, undergraduate and graduate teaching and advising Ph.D. students.
A letter of application, CV, writing sample (no longer than an article or dissertation/book chapter), and three letters of recommendation (sent separately) must be submitted electronically by October 20, 2022. This is a full-time appointment; the start date for the position is September 1, 2023.
Northwestern requires all staff and faculty to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to limited exceptions. For more information, please visit our COVID-19 and Campus Updates website. The Northwestern campus sits on the traditional homelands of the people of the Council of Three Fires, the Ojibwe, Potawatomi, and Odawa as well as the Menominee, Miami and Ho-Chunk nations. We acknowledge and honor the original people of the land upon which Northwestern University stands, and the Native people who remain on this land today. Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Please read ALL instructions and make all preparations before proceeding to application page. If you have been asked to submit a letter of recommendation for an applicant, please use the link in your email instructions instead of this page.
- Applications will only be accepted through the online form. Please make sure all documents are prepared in advance, because partial applications will not be accepted and cannot be saved. Also, please be sure all information is entered completely and accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been accepted.
- All uploaded files should be in Adobe PDF format. Files in another electronic format (e.g., MS Word) should be "saved as" or "printed to" PDF format before uploading. If you only have a paper version of a particular document, you may scan it and save it as a PDF. However, the first method is preferred, because it retains text recognition capabilities.
- Three names and email addresses for external referees are required. Very soon after you submit your complete online application, your references will automatically be emailed instructions for uploading a letter of recommendation. NOTE: If you are using a professional placement or dossier service (e.g., interfolio) to submit any or all recommendations, please use the service's address instead of your referee's address in the appropriate space. Once again, please be sure all addresses are entered correctly with no spelling errors; otherwise your referee or dossier service will not receive the instructions.
- Some things to remember when uploading your application documents:
- Please note that no document may exceed 4 MB in size (8 MB for writing samples), so be sure to minimize the size of any large PDF files before uploading.
- File names should not contain parentheses, quotation marks, or other such characters; the system will likely not accept such documents.
- The size of the writing sample should be equivalent to a single journal article or book chapter; it may be published or unpublished. Only one sample need be submitted.
- When your PDF files and list of references are complete, you may proceed to the Online Application. All required fields must be filled in before you click on the "Submit Application" button. The system will not accept incomplete applications. Applications that are complete by October 20, 2022, will be ensured full consideration. (References will be allowed to arrive for a week or so after the deadline.) You will receive an email confirmation shortly after your application has been received.
|The link below will take you to the application for our Assistant Professor of History in Early Modern Europe and the World Faculty Search. Please be sure you are applying to the correct search. Reminder: If you have been asked to submit a letter of recommendation for an applicant, please use the link in your email instructions instead of the link below.|