Harris Hall turns 100!
In 2015, Harris Hall celebrated its 100th birthday. The building was named for Norman Wait Harris (1846-1916), a prominent Chicago banker, philanthropist, and university trustee and benefactor, who was also the father of one of the department's faculty members. The building was designed by Charles Coolidge, a principal at Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge, the architects responsible for the Art Institute of Chicago, the original Chicago Public Library (now the Chicago Cultural Center), and the quad at Stanford University. Initially the building housed all the university's social sciences programs, but was entirely renovated in 2008-10 for the sole use of the History Department. It's an LEED certified building. Come visit us!
Back to top